Posted on

Open Pour Fluke Molds Part 2 – Print Pour Fish!

Open Pour Fluke Molds Part 2 - Print Pour Fish! 1

Alright guys, if you’re watching from my last video where I designed this fluke we’re going to print this mold, pour it and go fish with it to see how it works. I’m doing two because if it sucks it might as well suck twice, right? Here’s my latest settings for Sculpt and you can take a screenshot so it’ll last longer. Looks like two of these molds are going to cost me $2.05 and it’s going to take about 12 hours to print so we’re going to print it overnight and we’ll get back to you in the morning. We’ll wake up, and we’ll have a mold.

pouring fluke mold

 

Pour #1

Alright, now it’s time to pour the flukes today. We’re going to mix it up a little bit, I’ve decided that I’m going to go with a crawfish color and go with a red. I’m going to start with the base of Dead On Plastics red (linked HERE), I have this red mica off of Amazon which you can find HERE. I actually got two, they were supposedly separate colors from the same company but they look almost identical so who knows. So red, Dead On red, base color red mica and then we’re going to hit it with some Hobby Lobby gunmetal flake just to break it up a little bit. We’re going red today which sounds like a good time so we’ll see how it turns out. Let’s go.

designing fluke mold in fusion 360

 

First Demold Fluke and Redesign in Fusion 360

So the first set of molds I made I poured and noticed right away that tail section was too shallow and too narrow, at least for my limited open course skill set. When I pulled the baits out, you know, it felt really flimsy, so I jumped back into Fusion 360 and adjusted the tail width and the depth to make it a little deeper and wider which gives it more of a bulk and make the top more open and easier to pour. How you want to do this is completely up to you. This is an open pore mold, if it was an injection mold, we probably wouldn’t have this problem because we’d have some both on the top of that tail section as well. But being an open core mold, you really need to pay attention to how much width you have in that section to make sure you can accurately pour your plastisol in there.

fluke mold

 

 

 

 

 

New Mold Overview

We’re back at the pouring table the next day after I printed a new version after that first pouring disaster. Let’s see what we got this time. We’re just going to remount this stuff that we used yesterday. So what I did between version one and version two is I made the tail section a lot wider because it was impossible to pour and quite a bit deeper as well which I think will help in the pour. I thinned down the mid-section just a bit, I wasn’t terribly upset about how fat it was but I don’t think I needed it to be that fat. I then added on a nose in front just to make rigging it a bit easier like every other fluke out there. If you look at this bait I poured yesterday, this tail section is way too thin. You’ll get a ton of great action there but the first little tail bite you get it’s going to be totally gone. So if it’s fat, that’s fine as long as it’s not too fat. It's probably still a bit too hot to pour but I’m going to go ahead and rock it out. I think it’s kind of bad when you have to redesign a bait because you don’t have the skills to do it but, oh well. I’m going to let these cool and get right back to you.

demolding fluke lure

Demold Fluke #2

Alright, here we go with the mold of version two. It’s not getting quite enough in there, more maybe I poured it a little too hot which is probably the reason. That looks pretty good, little fish for sure and has a cool little arrow tail on there which is still pretty warm. The body cavity here is looking good, not too hard to demold. Getting the other one here should be basically the same, but maybe I’ll try it from the front this time and push back trying to grab that nose. That’s a big undercut there, but since the Plastisol is flexible it’s not too bad. This is Dead On Plastics craw tube blend so it’s relatively tough plastic. I like the way that tail looks, I don’t know how it’s going to act but we will let these cool off a bit and maybe I’ll go throw them today.

comparing two fluke molds

 

 

New vs. Old Fluke

So, here’s a little comparison between the two that we did. Version one the tail is not as well formed, and the tail section is just a disaster. Version two, obviously, is a little but stiffer but I think it’s plenty flexible and the tail is just a little deeper and a little wider. I hope that provides a lot more action then on the front, I basically just took a 10-millimeter circle and extruded it out to give us a nicer spot to rig compared to version one.

Gone Fishin'

Let’s see if this fluke works. I’m at the local pond, it’s about 8 o’clock in the morning. This pond is very small as you can see but it does hold a few bass so I’m hoping I can convince them to eat the fluke. That’s really all I got with me, flukes, and bigger flukes. Hey, it catches turtles I guess, I’ve made the world’s ultimate turtle lure. Alright, fish do suck at biting my lures, I don’t suck at fishing the fish suck. I’m not really good at fluke fishing either. I have a tendency to loose my patience when it’s super slow fishing but the fluke works as designed and it’s pretty killer. I released a bunch of different fluke lures to my Patreon group that is linked HERE. Every month in there, I release new molds and new hard baits as they come out.

 

Tare care- Tight lines